Throat Chakra, fifth chakra
The Vishudda Chakra, or throat chakra is the energy center located, you guessed it, in the throat. In proximity to the voice, this chakra is associated with truth and communication.
Its color is blue, sound is HAM, and it is represented by the lotus with 16 blue petals. Its element is sound. The thyroid gland is the corresponding gland of the chakra. Being connected to the thyroid, this whirling vortex of energy is related to grow and maturation through communication. Since the thyroid hormones direct growth and maturity.
What we are focusing on here is expression. What needs to be expressed? You know this chakra is blocked or contracted if there is any withholding of the truth in your life. There is some kind of communication breakdown in your family, with your friends, with the community as a whole. It's as if you feel you have something to say but cannot say it. You feel blocked from this communication.
A block in creativity can mean a block in this chakra because creation is the finest form of expression. Writer's block, for instance. There is where all lies and omission of truth is stuck in your energy. Lying or not expressing truth is painful and so this has been accumulating here, and now is the time to forgive yourself and let go. Also pain from being lied to or not being communicated with properly can live here, and freeze this important chakra.
All non-aunthenticity stems from this place. Just form looking around, you can tell that authenticity is rare. Open this chakra to be authentic and true in thought, word and deed. Let your insides reflect your outsides.
To open and balance this chakra:
1. Setu Bandasana: To come into bridge pose, lie on your back. Point your knees to the sky with the feet flat on the floor, hip-distant and parallel. Arms are alongside you. Press into your feet to lift your hips into the air. Interlace your fingers underneath you and tuck your shoulder into the floor. Tuck chin to chest. Lift your hips even higher and breathe deeply. 10 breaths. Slowly lower your hips onto your interlaced fingers.
2. From there, bring your feet into the air over the hips. Then bring your feet over your face as you slowly move your feet behind your head, with the balls of the feet into the floor behind your head. Your hips, now, are raised off of your interlaced fingers. Shoulders tucking back under. Press into the balls of your feet in halasana or plow pose.
3. Slowly lift your feet into the air, pulling everything into the centerline. Chin tucks into chest and point your toes to the sky. Squeeze your legs together as you take your hands to your lower back. Breathe deeply. 10 breaths. You are standing on your shoulders, not your neck and not the balls of your neck. Shoulderstand.
4. To come out of shoulderstand, lower back into halasana and going out the way you came in, lower your feet back down to the ground, lower your hips to the floor with your arms returning to alongside your torso on the floor.
5. Come to sit for Throat Chakra Meditation.