Short Yoga Sequence for the Sacral Chakra
The Swadisthana Chakra is where we create and fertilize. It is related to base emotion and the sex hormones, and so its glands are the gonads or sexual organs. It determines our sexuality, our intimacy, our emotions, our reproduction, our creativity or art. It governs sensuality, taste, desire, pleasure, well-being and the flow of creativity.
Physically, it is located in the core of the pelvis, a few inches from the naval, in the region of the sacrum. During the asana and meditation practices designed to strengthen this energy center, we will place our loving attention in this area. It is represented by the color orange, the element of water, the sound VAM, and the lotus with six pedals.
When this chakra is out of balance, usually the sex hormones are out of balance, mood swings and PMS symptoms abundant. Infertility and lack of creativity could also mean a block of energy here. Your sex life could be in trouble. You could be blocked emotionally or creatively. There ould be no sense of pleasure in anything.
We will use asana, meditation, and nutrition to strengthen and/or balance this center in the body.
Feel free, in this short practice, to sway with a fluid movement, as this chakra is all about a water-like, fluid flow.
- A few sun salutations and cat/cows to warm the spine and greet your mat. Come and be present in the body as much as possible.
- From down-fog, inhale and lift right leg in the air, stack right hip on left, bend right knee and open up hip. Exhale and straighten out leg, square off hips and bend right knee, pull it through, underneath your center line, as you shift your shoulders over your wrists. Place right foot between the hands.
- Inhale and lift up into crescent pose, with balls of left foot at the back of the mat and right knee directly over right ankle. Arms rise alongside ears so basically you're in a flamboyant lunge position.
- Exhale and place left hand on the inside of the right foot and lift the right fingers high. Twist all the way down to below belly button. So it's a very deep twist.
- Back to down-dog and repeat on the left side.
- From down-dog, bring your right knee behind your right wrist. Left knee, top of the left foot comes down onto the mat. Bring effort into getting the right shin parallel to the front of the mat. Rest on your elbows and breathe for 5 breaths, breathing especially into your hips.
- To slowly come out of Pigeon and back into dog, come back up onto your hands, tuck your left toes and lift your back knee. Send right foot back and set hip-distance away from left foot.
- Down-dog and repeat on the other side.
- On an exhale, bend your knees and hop to the top of the mat. Feet hip-distance apart, bend your knees and come into a squat, malasana. Upper-arms are on the inside of the knees. Bring your fingertips below your belly button. This is a great place to try to sway. Breathe here for 10 breaths, breathing into the area at the core of your pelvis.
- Come out of malasana to the long side of your mat and fold both sides of the mat over (the short ends are being folded so the mat is made shorter). Bring your knees onto the folded parts of the mat. Your elbows are on the floor, your palms are together in frog pose. Check that you ankles are directly behind your knees and then lean back toward your ankles until you feel you need your breath to sustain the pose. 10 breaths here.
- Come slowly out of frog, bringing your feet together behind you. Walking back on your hands, rise up onto your feet and unfold your mat. Come to the top of the mat to sit for the Sacral Chakra Meditation.
Namaste and may your bring balance to this all-important chakra.